Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sandy Nassan-Just Guitar

This was one of those things I heard through a friend but was never able to track down. After years of looking I found it for a dollar. Then of course, I started to see it all the time (and I think they were all promo copies). And looking on line, I haven't seen this posted anywhere. And that's something that just needs to be corrected since this is one of the best guitar work outs I've ever heard. The first track is a 16 minute mind bender that blends the American primitivism of John Fahey, the jazz gypsy playing of Gabor Szabo, and the pan global explorations of Sandy Bull. The piece moves from meditative to freaked out and all places in between. Really, it's worth downloading for that one side long track alone. The rest is good too, but there was no way Sandy was going to top that cut. And this was put out by Herbie Mann's short lived Embryo imprint, showing that he was much cooler than how he looked on his Memphis Underground cover (remember Sonny Sharrock used to be in his band). Enough praise, just get the thing already. And sorry, but I didn't have time to label the tracks again (I know I hate that too).

Here

17 comments:

  1. i'm only halfway through the first track but this is fucking incredible. apparently he's only got one other release, nassan, would you happen to have that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I don't. But the first track is the best thing about this album. I like the rest, but that's the track that made me obsessed with finding this record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sandy nassan is my dad. He goes by sander now lol and we have his original records and 8tracks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't a joke, right? Does he still play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry its been a while! yes he still plays every night! and he plays bass in a band now :D

      Delete
    2. He doesnt perform solo guitar anymore tho, just plays for himself and family and friends, but hes really good at the bass too, its so cool that there are so many people out there that appreciate his music. Hes also a very kind and wonderful man.

      Delete
  5. Very good album of an unsung hero of the past! Thanks for bringing him out from the dusty past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night (4/29/11) I ran into a young guitarist who reminded me of Sandy and had me digging to remember his name. I went to school in Cincinnati 70-74 and I met Sandy and some of his crowd. He was a great, creative player who was incredibly creative with his technique. I still live in Cincy but never hear of him. When I Googled him today I was pleased to find this post. He deserves recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. This is such a great album and it's a crime that it's so unheralded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess I discovered this one too late...
    any chance of a re-up???
    Thanks for keeping the obscure music alive.
    Cheers,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might take some time, but I plan on re-upping everything. This one will be high priority considering it's the only available rip on line (at least I think). I never added the track titles or anything, but it still should be heard by more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jerry,
    you certaily seem to have the only mention of this LP is the blogsphere. I can't imagine it sold many copies when it first came out...back in those days record companies would take risks with music that had limited appeal, but were nevertheless important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I've only seen a few copies of this one and everyone was a promo. I assume it got mass distribution but I can't vouch for it. On a positive note, this can often be picked up for a fiver or so. It isn't nearly as cool as the Fahey and Basho records but is still as essential.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would love to hear it if a re up is en route...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I'm just getting into vinyl and today at a yard sale I traded a few metal shelves for about 50 records. Random stuff that I didn't get to go through (tons of Barry Manilow haha) but I've been putting it all in discogs to see if anything was valuable or especially neat, what kind of editions I have/etc.

    I just came across this record, and discogs has no other releases for it other than the one, so I googled it and found this blog post. So excited to listen to this record now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As mine isn't a promo, and I live in Cincinnati and an early post mentioned he lived in Cincy...maybe it only sold well locally?

    ReplyDelete