Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DG 307-(1973-5)

When it comes to underground Czech rock (and it was way underground) Plastic People of the Universe get all the credit (see old post). People seem to forget that, although the scene was criminally small (because it was actually illegal to participate in these shows see, so that's a pun for you), there was more than just that one band. I love them too, but I probably play this a little more. Lots of this foreshadows soundways that would later be explored by Throbbing Gristle and the like. It's not industrial music, but there's a gloomy creepiness to it if that makes sense. In a weird way this sounds like the bizzaro world soundtrack to Makavejev's most absurd films. Why this isn't on the NWW list, I can only guess, is that it was probably impossible to come by when Stapleton and cohorts were compiling the bands. Careful, this album's got teeth.

Here

2 comments:

  1. http://youtu.be/RaNjmivU_-Y

    My new fave video

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew the comb was so versatile. I typically put a piece of paper in them, blow, and pretend I'm in a spaceship.

    ReplyDelete