Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers

Summer school is back on. And you have no idea how excited I am to teach technical writing. I think we'll watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, ride a few roller coasters, and let the typical summer hi jinx ensue. Too bad there's no students that look like Courtney Thorne-Smith (in 80s surfer style). But enough about my banal existence. On with the music. I figure the blues is something most white guilt aficionados go for, and I'm sure there's a few of you out there, so why not post this treat. As everyone knows, Chicago has been home to one of the best blues scenes of all time. No need for a history lesson at the moment, but you can go look it up if you wish. It's okay, I'll wait. Anyways, here's one of my faves from my hometown. Taylor was definitely ripped off too many times and never got the true accolades he deserved (Jon Spencer, you own Hound Dog a career). Really snarling double guitar (on a fucked up Teisco or some shit) sans bass and simplified rhythms makes for a pretty fucking classic, yet original, blues sound. Yeah, Elmore James is an influence, but Taylor made this shit sound punk. And "Give me back my Wig" is just great, especially since I'm always afraid that some bandit with abscond with mine.

Here

No comments:

Post a Comment