Monday, March 28, 2011

Gil Melle-The Andromeda Strain OST

Bloody hell. I'm killing time in my office and this fucking computer is so unbelievable slow that it took me nearly a half hour to be able to set up this post. But now that we're all past that, I might as well get to the music. You'll first note the weird shape of this album jacket, which unfolds (like a lotus blossom) to reveal an even weirder shaped record (is it hexagonal?). While it might seem a bit gimmicky, it actually is the perfect encapsulation of the out there electronic brew that Melle has concocted. Typically, the Crichton association is instant rejection, but even his dirty fingers can’t soil this soundtrack masterpiece. Here

6 comments:

  1. That is quality packaging, and worth owning even if you don't like the music. I've never heard it myself so that's a little treat in store for me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. It's up there with the Glastonbury packaging. It's silly to be hung up on the sleeve, but you just don't find things of this sort now. Then again, it's pretty difficult to have creative packaging when you're dealing virtual objects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also one of the reasons I never bought CDs and now I am super glad that format passed me by even though it otherwise seemed like a musical wilderness at the time as far as being able to purchase new music. The size limitations were certainly detrimental to the artwork and the disc lifespan never lived up to the industry promise of immortality. You'd think you could throw them round like frisbees the way they talked about them as they instigated the shift away from vinyl. And don't get me started on those ridiculous plastic so called jewel cases. Yet there is still a cottage industry of bands putting some effort into self published releases so all is not lost yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. The cd really signaled the lost of packaging aesthetics. And just look what it's become now. Bands just have thumb nail images for covers. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Gil Melle's daugter. Nice girl.

    ReplyDelete