Friday, September 16, 2011

Ruby Andrews-Casanova (Your Playing Days are Over)

This album just seems to reinforce my current state, and it's one I'm sure readers have found themselves in. i know it's a predicament that I am inevitably bound to repeat an endless amount of times since it's one of those things that even if you learn from it, it seems foolish to accept the lesson. So I'm sure everyone can surmise from that prologue that I'm talking about romance and the stupid things it leads us to do. It's funny that often times (at least with myself) I can see that what I am doing is most likely stupid and will probably only make matters worse, yet that attraction is strong enough to force me to preclude reason and experience and act like that junior high boy that we've all tried to forget is still lurking somewhere within us. And that's why I'm been listening to this album. This is a case where not fitting into a particular region helps the artist as she is able to draw from all modes of soul. I think if you listen closely you can find elements of nearly all of her contemporaries, yet it is distinctly her own work. Hail Chicago soul.

Here

1 comment:

  1. Your kind of on fire, Mr. Orbach. "You Made a Believer Out of Me" really does it for me.

    ReplyDelete