Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Holy Modal Rounders-Indian War Whoop

I'd say most of the esp-disk catalog is pretty damned untouchable when it comes to consistently wigged out sonic mind fucks. And spanning out jazz, strummy folk, psych lunacy, etc, it's a pretty broad spectrum that they covered. Of all the albums they released, this always received high marks in my book. Lotsa clatter and stompin' fucked blues grass sounds. These dudes were certainly weird. Weird enough that even Sam Shepard joined their ranks for this album. And really, this album reminds me of a time when records had some amazing album covers. With all the photoshop nonsense I keep seeing, it's easy to forget the cover as a real artform. This wasn't made on some fucking computer.

Here

1 comment:

  1. Before they settled on their name, they considered Motherfucker Creek Babyrapers. Got a nice ring to it, eh?

    (Source: http://www.furious.com/perfect/stampfel.html which isn't my site, just wanted to verify myself)

    ReplyDelete