Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Drums of Death: Field Recordings In Ghana

I could care less about John Zorn. I know some people obsess over every note the guy squeezes out, but the guy does a lotta squeezin' so it gets a bit old. Oddly, he's listed as the producer of this album of field recordings of traditional Ghanian funeral music. I think that it just proves that he's better at getting people together and letting them do what they do then actually playing music. This album would be most appropriate for nights alone with a bottle of cough syrup and a loin cloth. And don't be afraid to dance. No one is watching anyways.

Here

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I consider myself a "Zornhead", but I really only like a small portion of what that guy actually does (which is still a complete discography's worth of music). I never bother to try any of his solo albums, but projects of his like Masada, The Dreamers, Naked City, and Painkiller are awesome in my book. And the first two sound like perfectly normal, not-fucked-up music (!!!).

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've got a million albums by the guy and really enjoy most of them. I guess I've just sick of the high praise he constantly receives. He strikes me as a better organizer who surrounds himself with top flight musicians than someone who actually produces interesting music. The worst part of everyone of his albums is the things he contributes. That seems odd to me.

    ReplyDelete