Friday, June 1, 2012

Mary Lou Williams-Black Christ of the Andes

Call it jazz, call it spiritual paeans, call it what you will.  This is a must listen if you haven't heard it before and I have zero believe in anything holy or whatnot.  It's all mumbo jumbo to me, yet that doesn't prevent me from giving this a ringing endorsement as a straight up weird record that draws from all the aforementioned types of musics but exists on a plane all by itself.  I'm a little concerned that this will get my mediafire account shut down once again because I see that folkw*ys has a connection here and I know they can be pretty serious about their money grubbing.  So get it while the gettin' is good.  Here's hoping I don't get another mediafire wipe.  But rest assured little one, no matter how many deletions I have to go through Old Uncle Jerry will keep posting things no one wants to hear.  Just don't pester me about the reups.  They're coming in time.



  1. Great lady of jazz. From '30's swing to solo piano to a mass. Fantastic!

  2. Great, great lp. And I know she grew up in Pittsburgh - but she taught & lived in Durham from 1977 to her death in '81, so I claim her for my fair city! :-)

  3. Nope, she's still a Pittsburger to me. Maybe it's a proximity thing but I just don't class her in the South.

  4. Er, she was born in Atlanta.
    Mary Lou Williams Center = Duke.
    Don't make me come find you! ;-)