Thursday, April 1, 2010

Jack Smith-Les Evening Gowns Damnées and Silent Shadows on Cinemaroc Island

This one might sound like a hoax, but believe me when I say that Tony Conrad, and V.U. alums John Cale & Angus Maclise are all involved with these recordings. Smith is probably more well known as being a scenester more than anything, and a director secondly. But this music demonstrates an ear aimed at the firmament. There's some sound poetry, some screechy strings, some down home primitivism, and general weirdness. If any of the aforementioned names mean anything to you or if you have interest in the whole late 60s New York scene, then you should get this.

Here

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog ,and I love you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear. I didn't think people where that interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete